Technical and operational safety
Checking the barriers can be crucial in avoiding an incident or limiting the consequences of an unwanted incident.
Barriers to major accidents have always been in place in the energy sector. The principles of barrier management can, however, also be used in other industries, e.g., the transport sector.
Our interdisciplinary teams include engineers, social sciences, organisational psychologies, and operations experts. They help customers assess, understand, and develop their barrier management to reduce risk and achieve safe and efficient operations.
- Establish a barrier philosophy
- Establish barrier functions
- Create clear illustrations of barrier functions
- Determine performance requirements
- Implement a barrier management system
- Implement monitoring measures
- Involve the organisation in barrier management, e.g., through courses and training
BowTie analysis documents the barrier management in a company and provides a good overview of risk management and barrier management.
BowTie is a good tool for visualizing the risk picture and raising awareness of the role of barriers and the individual in safety work.
It is thus suitable for display during a review. It is a recognised tool and can be used in all businesses; it is mentioned, among other things, in NVE's guide to risk and vulnerability analysis for the power industry.
- Integrated and systematic risk management
- Visualization of barriers
- Improve employees' understanding and awareness
- Identifies any missing/weak barriers
- A starting point for maintenance planning
Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP)
HAZOP is a systematic method for identifying and documenting dangerous incidents and operational conditions.
Safetec facilitates HAZOP as an independent third party.
Safetec has highly experienced technical security experts who can lead and document HAZOP. We have extensive experience implementing HAZOP with the design and modification of process plants.
We also deliver courses to personnel in the application of HAZOP methodology.
- Preparation and review of background information
- Planning work meetings
- Implementation of HAZOP at work meetings
- Documentation of observations and action points
- Preparation of delivery to the customer
We have long and broad experience with developing and updating performance standards, with particular emphasis on performance requirements in barrier management.
Traditionally, performance standards have been limited to technical barrier systems, but in recent years it has also become common to include operational and organisational barrier elements.
While technical barriers are tested and verified through integrity management systems, operational and organisational barrier elements can be tested and verified through follow-up of security indicators and implementation of security audits.
- Design development
- Choice of equipment in the design phase
- Verification of barrier elements in the operational phase