Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP)
Systematically identifying and documenting hazards and operability issues
Safetec is a leading provider of HAZID and HAZOP, conducting over 70 analyses every year for numerous clients. A HAZOP study is used to verify the integrity of design or procedures with respect to safety and operability. We have extensive experience and provide highly skilled multi-disciplined teams.
HAZard and OPerability (HAZOP) is a well known and well documented study. HAZOP is used as part of a Quantitative Risk Assessment (QRA) or as a standalone analysis. HAZOP is a more detailed review technique than HAZID. The purpose of the HAZOP is to investigate how the system or plant deviate from the design intent and create risk for personnel and equipment and operability problems. HAZOP studies have been used with great success within chemical and the petroleum industry to obtain safer, more efficient and more reliable plants. HAZOP has become a standard method in the design of process system in the North Sea.
What we do
Safetec has a strong and experienced pool of experts within technical safety. We have extensive experience with HAZOP both as part of the design of process plant either as an independent risk analysis or a preliminary study and modification. This also includes procedural HAZOPs. Safetec can play an important role as third party. We also provide courses in the HAZOP methodology.
A typical HAZOP study will be conducted this way:
- Familiarisation with background documentation
- Planning of the workshop meeting in a pre-meeting with the customer in order to identify HAZOP strategy, division of the subsystems/nodes (e.g. line, pump, vessel, compressor), choose relevant Piping and Instrument Diagrams (P&ID), and identifying guide words
- Accomplishment of the HAZOP review
- Documentation of observations into information and actions point, document findings on the P&IDs.
- Draft report for client review.
- Final HAZOP report.
Advantages and benefits
Safetec puts large efforts into high quality of preparation, planning, accomplishment and documentation and this makes us unique in the market.
Please get in touch to find out more about how HAZOP analysis can support your organisation and your clients. We know that time often is pressing and we put considerable efforts in responding quickly.